Archive for August 2011
I’ve been away for a few months, on paternity leave. It was a delight. It now is my turn to return to work and pick up where I left off. You probably know that I work with Rails sometimes if you read this blog. The last time I built a large Rails app was just prior to the 3.0 release. I return to find 3.1 on rc5 and I decided it would be a good idea to get up to speed with it.
Rails 3.1 is a huge departure from Rails 2.x. I feel lost — almost as if I have to learn an entirely new framework! Between updating gems, rails, rack, etc., I decided that I had better start with a new gemset. After stumbling through an RVM upgrade last night (stumbling because I allowed too many versions to pass in-between and the upgrade was far from smooth), I installed 3.1.0.rc5 and started a test app. I ran into a few bugs related to the rc status of the release. The first is that I was receiving a JSON error on a vanilla blank app. If you bump into that, just require these gems:
gem 'multi_json' gem 'json'
The second is that there was a problem with the arel version. Including the following in the Gemfile fixed the issue for the time being:
gem 'arel', '2.1.4' # remove when 3.1.0 is released
The app boots without errors now, so I’m off to plug away at the new Asset Pipeline and other features. If you’re starting fresh with Rails 3.1, check out this page at Github for a great tutorial on how to get started.
Before I go, however, I want to point to a lovely bit of Processing work by Justin Livi. He created a sketch that randomly generates dandelions like the one below. Check out his site to see the interactive applet.